Decision Day
Initially my thoughts on Premier Pro was that it seemed to be very intricate and confusing. I have never used a software to edit videos like Premier Pro, so I figured that I might have some difficulties understanding certain aspects of the software.
When I first opened up InDesign it was to my surprise to see the layout of the different tools such as: cropping photos, adding filters, adding text, etc. With these functions being relatively the same I felt really comfortable using them. One thing that made me want to pursue the magazine was that I realized that in order to make a captivating magazine that will keep the readers entertained you do not want to have really long paragraphs but instead smaller text boxes and more eye-catching graphics. According to the article “Survival of the Fittest: Four Editors on the Future of Literary Magazines” it states that, “Of those who do subscribe to literary journals, many are not what we might consider "mainstream" readers.” What this shows is how a literary magazine which usually contain a higher portion of writing in them than a regular magazine is far less popular among people. I figure it is because of the time it takes to read those long paragraphs.
Even after discovering how comfortable I felt in InDesign, I was not quite ready to make a full commitment. This is because I still wanted to know fully what the difference between my two options was. I quickly realized what exactly the movie option would entail for me. I would essentially have to tell a story within the short four-minute time frame. Personally, I have always struggled with writing, telling, and sharing stories. And according to “Our Place in the Universe: The Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom” it states that, “The Four Cs of critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity go hand in hand with storytelling projects in the classroom.” After reading this I felt that with the exception of collaboration I felt like those other three categories were far from my strongpoints. Another thing that stood out to me was another statement made within the last source cited where it states, “Whether the story is told in LEGO bricks, Claymation, puppetry, or text, all that matters is that the story gets told.” This showed me how many different ways and the different materials I could use to create a movie.
However, this I still felt like the correct path for myself is InDesign and the magazine due to my experience with similar software and my struggles with storytelling.
Comments
Post a Comment